I am a Ph.D. candidate of the Department of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning at Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto. I am now studying with Prof. Jim Slotta at his ENCORE Lab.
Technology Related Stuff
My DIY projects
- Digital Photo Frame
- Network Attached Storage
- LCD projector
Linux (Fedora, CentOS) Stuff
- My Experiences of Installing PHP IDEs on CentOS
- Installing PDT and PHPEclipses on CentOS
- Installing PHP Development Tools on Fedora 7
- A Simple Sample of Using PDT for PHP programming
- Install Shibboleth SP on Ubuntu 10.04
Mac OS X related
Cool Software (most are for Mac)
- Tomcat Controller - Mac download has version 1.2. MacUpdate has version 2.1. You can install Tomcat anywhere (any directory you can access) on your Leopard and start and stop your Tomcat.
- SimplyBurns - Small and easy to use software with functions I need, like burn data cds, copy cd, erase cd-rw, burn images, rip discs (create image of cds). However, I think it is a little slow.
- G* Power 3 - Power Analysis freeware for Mac OS X 10.4 and Windows. It works on Leopard.
- MPEG Streamclip 1.9.1 - A converter for MPEG-1/2/4, QuickTime files and transport streams (.ts and .m2t). For MPEG-2 it works together with the Apple MPEG-2 Playback Component and provides high-quality conversion of movies into several useful formats for Mac OS X. It is compatible with Apple Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, and Roxio Toast 6/7/8 (excerption from the original page). I tested this software and converted one file from MPEG2 to MPEG4 and DV format. I think it is good. Attention: MPEG-2 codec is required for converting MPEG-2 videos! Windows version is available. It is only an executable file, not a program that needs to be installed.
- VLC media player - A software that can play many types of video. It can play MPEG-2 video on Mac without install additional MPEG-2 codec.
- ffmpegX - Shareware for converting videos. It requires downloading three files from sourceforge. These files are codecs it needs. It can convert MPEG-2 videos without the Apple MPEG-2 Playback Component. I tested converting a MPEG-2 file which is over 260M in size to MPEG-4 format. It worked fine. It does not add any extra stuff, such as a line of text, on to the converted video. A reminder message appears every time starting the program, no functional differences, if the $15 fee is not payed. Have not found any other problems yet.
- Switch Sound File Converter - Freeware for converting a variety of different audio file formats (including WMA, MOV, AIFF formats) into MP3 or WAV format. Can convert a batch of files at a time or convert files individually.
Research Methods Related
Here are some personal thoughts, experiences, and resources (books, research papers, Internet resources ...) that I obtained from my research methods and statistics courses as well as my practical research. Things that I think important and I should pay more attention to.
Personal Thoughts and Experiences.
- The Issue of Power Analysis - Something I learned about power analysis and resources.
- The Minimum Sample Size in Factor Analysis - What is the minmum sample size for conductiong factor analysis? Absolute sample size is important or subjects-to-variables ratio is important? what are the conditions of using small sample size in factor analysis?
- Issues Related to Performing Exploratory Factor Analysis - Is principle component analysis an exploratory factor analysis? Decision-makes in performing exploratory factor analysis. Calculation (estimation) of factor scores, etc.
- Salsburg, D. (2001). The lady tasting tea: How statistics revolutionized science in the twentieth century. New York: WH Freeman and Company.
- Mill, J. D. (2003). SPSS textbooks: A review for teachers. Statistics Education Research Journal, 20(2), 59-70.
- Keselman, H. J., etc. (1998). Statistical practices of educational researchers: An analysis of their ANOVA, MANOVA, and ANCOVA analysis. Review of Educational Research, 68, 350-386. More in ENCORE resources ...