Theme Name: Lifestyle: Collectives (smart spaces, interaction)
Caeleigh Moffat, Lillian Rigling, Suresh Tharuma, and Gaoxia Zhu
Contact Email (for any issues):
Homework (due Feb 24):
Part 1: Readings
Please read the following articles:
Part 2: PhotoDive
Next, think about the ideas examined in both articles in the context of Toronto. Imagine you are trying to improve the experience for “New Canadians” in the city. For a better idea of some of the challenges new immigrants face, refer to: Your First Year in Canada, Twelve Barriers to Immigration.
Using your smartphone/tablet take three (or more) different photos of things in Toronto that might be improved by a “smart” interface. Do not restrict your ideas to “app” based solutions. Try to think outside of what can only be accessed through a phone or tablet.
What you need to do:
- Create a Mural account (Go to https://mural.ly/ and click ‘start a free 30 day trial’)
Post your photos to the class Mural wall (“Toronto Smart Cities PhotoDive”, link here: http://mur.al/mnRK07q7)
Add comments to your photos (Write a brief 2-3 sentence description about 1) why you took the photo, 2) what kind of smart interface you are envisioning to improve the “New Canadian” experience, and 3) how it relates to the ideas in the readings.) Please include your name with your post.
Feel free to reply to other photos and comments!
*Note, Mural automatically sends email notifications to subscribed users when wall content is updated. This is helpful for keeping up with new posts and comment threads, but individual notification settings can be managed under your account. Learn more.
Part 3: Reflection Forum
Now that you’ve had a chance to explore the city and document your findings, take a moment to reflect on your experience overall. Write a brief 100-200 word forum post that connects concepts from the readings and relates them to the insights you gained from the photo journaling activity. Responses can be broad or specific.
To create a forum post, add a new topic on the class forum, link here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/knowledge-media-and-learning-smart-cities-2016/
Please come prepared to discuss in class.
- Lecture and Homework Reflection 1:10 - 1:50 pm
- Stakeholder Small Group Discussion 1:50 - 2:15 pm
- Citizens https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GAJGzGOdobw4GvPfSC2BMQELH3EZzR1DZV-gZtr358g/edit?usp=sharing
- City Council https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DJKYN3-yeVT6m4C5BtqURS05xWuSlnsGn19sqb_hBUs/edit?usp=sharing
- Business https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_n8z3xFVJS_GsesdTASO4L_GBfWCsoUqRYpuhWA6EZ8/edit?usp=sharing
- Universities and Other Educational Institutions https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kQROrVmUSl2Xt3CLTfhtxevu7kRlOFBVIMRDaPvyww4/edit?usp=sharing
- Break 2:15 pm - 2:30 pm
- Stakeholder Debate 2:30 - 3:00pm
- Design Activity 3:00 - 3:30 pm
- Planning and Management Design https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SUk7aeoWJ3F-6gBrkkWCIyMcrDtuCfiSjMeRNhuqazY/edit?usp=sharing
- Human Design https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fwGEeGyHBjMxgyYlp8rybgQpqutW1euQlgiVaa4Lxig/edit?usp=sharing
- Infrastructure Design https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rb4D6hpCkf9HJO5sKa6-T4_rl6SOlVB1YguVaZQIpN0/edit?usp=sharing
- Synthesize Designs & Wrap Up 3:30 - 4:00 pm
We spent about fifteen more minutes on the lecture and homework reflection part, so we had to cut several minutes of each of the following activity. I do not know if our classmates felt a little overwhelmed, but a friend mentioned to me the design activity was a little short.
I remember after I introduced the requirement of the design activity and asked the classmates to reform their groups, they did not take action immediately and they seemed a little surprised. I do not if it was because that they did not expect the introduction was so short or they did not get the idea of what to do next. I should give them opportunities to ask questions so as to clarify what they do not understand rather than supposed that they could get enough scaffolds from the google docs we had created for group discussion.
When I was in groups to support the discussion, I did not know if I should provide some scripts or just let it go, and if they have some questions, they would ask me. Maybe it is because I am influenced by knowledge building theory, not trying to control students, and also because I am not confident enough to provide suggestions. --Gaoxia
IBM ‘Smart Planet Approach’ [diagram] Smart City, Smart Planet (2013) Jarman International K.K. Retrieved from http://www.jarman-international.com/news-events/smart-city-smart-planet/#.VsudLvH_J64
Building the neighborhood of the Future [video] City of Edmonton (2015) Retrieved from http://www.edmonton.ca/blatchfordedmonton/building-the-neighbourhood-of-the-future.aspx
Possible Edmonton urban development videos: http://www.edmonton.ca/blatchfordedmonton/video-gallery.aspx